Hullo again. Apologies as I’m a bit late with mani number four. But water marbling is completely foriegn to me and I didn’t have sufficient down time to give it a go until yesterday. And boy oh boy, do you need clear time for this!
The polishes I used for this particular attempt were all OPIs: Moonraker, Tomorrow Never Dies and Bogota Blackberry. Now both Moonraker and TND were brand new and BB I’d used once. But even so I still found it quite slow to drip into the water so I added thinner. Aside from getting the polish to drop fast enough, the other big problem I had was getting the polish to spread. I found that the first polish would generally spread ok but that subsequent to that the polish circles wouldn’t expand very far. I was using ordinary tap water and I’ve since heard that that may be an issue. I’ve bought some distiller water now but I think I need time to recover from the experience before I try water marbling again. I will try it again though!
So below is the final outcome. After five hours of messing about my desk was a pigsty so I just went outside to take these photos rather than set up the light box. Also I apologise for the cuticles – despite using scotch tape, clean up was still a bitch. Added to which I nicked my right hand middle finger cuticle which bled profusely so I did my left hand instead, not wanting my wounded right hand to be exposed to acetone. Being left handed my clean up was even more underwhelming than it would have been on my right hand.
I did a number of trial runs with different polish brands and combinations. Some of the results of these I posted on Instagram (@Lacquercarefactor). The first was a total fail but then each after that was a slight improvement. So yes, I get that this takes patience and practice:). The other thing I struggled with was that I knocked the finished product on my index nail and then a bit of dried polish landed on my middle nail whilst I was applying top coat. So I actually had to do those again. The first version of the above was better looking than this but by that stage I was over the fun of making a huge mess with polish.
Also, I’ve still not managed to get hold of the inlinkz HTML code, so here’s a link to the blogs of just a couple of the lovely Lacquerheads doing this challenge and from their posts you can access the inlinkz of everyone one else who is part of this challenge:)
Until next time:)